Saturday, September 10, 2011

Because...


Alice went shopping.
Why?
She needed to buy bread.
Now let's use because to put the two sentences together.
Alice went shopping because she needed to buy bread.
"Because" introduces a cause or reason


It often connects two independent clauses into one sentence.


"Because" answers the questions, "Why?"


Clauses with "because" can come before or after the main clause. If the "because" clause comes first in the sentence, you must add a comma in between the two clauses.


1. Because I'm good at writing, I'd make a good journalist.
2. I'd make a good journalist because I'm good at writing.


Could/would
"Could" and "would" are used to describe hypothetical (possible) situations.
*When speaking, "could" and "would" are often abbreviated to " 'd "
For example in spoken English, "I'd go make a good journalist because I'm good at writing"


Complete these sentences:


1. You cannot go to the movies because ____________________________________.
2. Because they are almost out of money, ____________________________________.
3. Because my friend is moving to Colombia, ________________________________.
4. I think that English is easy because _____________________________________.
5. ______________________________ because her mother is angry with her for breaking a plate.
6. ______________________________ because I will not do well on the final exam.
7. ______________________________, he had to go to the doctor's office.
8. I wish that I could go to the concert tonight _________________________________.
9. Because we worked really hard, ____________________________________.
10. ______________________________ because she wants to travel to Italy.


Questions?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment